The UK’s RAREST 50p coin in circulation will be re-issued by The Royal Mint in 2019 it has been confirmed.
According to the Royal Proclamation, published on 8 November, a total of TEN new 50p coins will be issued in 2019, all of which will be re-issues of previous designs.
The coins to be re-issued comprise:
- Britannia 50p – the figure of Britannia, seated beside a lion, with a shield resting against her right side, holding a trident in her right hand and an olive branch in her left hand; and the figure “50” together with the words “NEW PENCE”;
- D-Day Landings 50p– a design representing the D-Day landings of the Allied invasion force heading for Normandy and filling the sea and sky, with the inscription “50 PENCE”;
- Roger Bannister 50p – the legs of a running athlete with a stylized stopwatch in the background and, with the inscription “50 PENCE”;
- Victoria Cross Medal 50p – a depiction of the obverse and reverse of a Victoria Cross with the date “29. JAN 1856” in the centre of the reverse of the Cross, with the inscription “VC” “FIFTY PENCE”;
- Victoria Cross Soldier 50p – a depiction of a soldier carrying a wounded comrade with an outline of the Victoria Cross surrounded by a sunburst effect in the background with the inscription “FIFTY PENCE” ;
- Boy Scouts 50p – a fleur-de-lis superimposed over a globe and accompanied by the inscription “BE PREPARED” and the dates “∙ 1907 ∙” and “∙ 2007 ∙”, and the denomination “FIFTY PENCE”;
- Kew Gardens 50p – a design showing the pagoda, a building strongly associated with the Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew, encircled by a vine and accompanied by the dates “1759” and “2009”, with the word “KEW” at the base of the pagoda;
- Battle of Hastings 50p – a design showing the scene from the Bayeux tapestry depicting King Harold with an arrow in his eye accompanied by the inscription “BATTLE OF HASTINGS 1066” and the date “2016”;
- Battle of Britain 50p – a design showing airmen running to their planes with enemy aircraft overhead accompanied by the inscription “THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN 1940”;
- Girl Guides 50p – a design which depicts a repeating pattern of the current identity of Girlguiding UK, accompanied by the inscription “CELEBRATING ONE HUNDRED YEARS OF GIRLGUIDING UK” and the denomination “50 PENCE”.
It’s expected the coins will be issued in 2019 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the 50p with commemorative collector’s editions in Cupro-Nickel, Silver and Gold being made available. It is not yet clear whether any of the new 50ps will be issued for circulation.
Stay up to date with all the latest news…
Fill in your details below to be kept up to date with all the latest news about the re-issued 2019 50p coins.
The UK’s incredibly popular Snowman 50p coin is to be followed up by a brand new Gruffalo 50p coin.
According to the Royal Proclamation, published on 9 November there will be a new coin:
– A depiction of the Gruffalo accompanied by the inscription “THE GRUFFALO”.
It’s expected the coin will be issued in 2019 to celebrate 20 years of Julia Donaldson’s The Gruffalo, with commemorative collector’s editions in Cupro-Nickel and Silver being made available. It is not yet clear whether this coin will be issued for circulation.
The next 50p collecting craze?
Although all the details have not been released yet and the actual design is still top secret, it seems likely that the Gruffalo 50p coin will be as popular with the British public as Peter Rabbit and friends have proved over the last three years.
Stay up to date with all the latest Gruffalo news…
Fill in your details below to be kept up to date with all the latest news about the Gruffalo 50p coin.
The Royal Mint and HM Treasury have just confirmed that a further 2.6 million A-Z 10p coins will enter circulation in the coming weeks.
This time the coins will be distributed through more normal networks including banks and cash distribution centres.
This will be welcome news to collectors who have been struggling to lay their hands on the new 10ps since the initial release in March. We’re hopeful that additional volumes will continue to be struck in line with UK requirements and of course the massive collector demand.
In the meantime, if you’re still asking the question “when will I find an A to Z 10p in my change?” you might be interested in this blog.
If you’re eager to get your hands on one of the new 10ps, remember our next live swap event is coming to Bristol on the 20th October. We’ll be swapping any 10p coin for one of the new A-Z 10ps. All the details can be found here.
Secure your Complete A-Z 10p Set today!
Can’t wait to complete your collection?
Own all 26 A-Z 10p coins in ‘Early Strike’ quality and receive a FREE collector’s medal!