Could the spare change hiding down the back of your sofa be worth nearly £500?
Change Checker’s Ebay Tracker reveals the UK’s most valuable coins and banknotes, including the rarest 50p in circulation – the Kew Gardens.
This latest update reveals the highest basket value since the eBay Tracker began in 2017.
eBay Tracker reveals spare change could be worth £490
We’ve seen the demand for coins surge since the sad passing of the Queen.
Collectors are rushing to fill the gaps in their Queen Elizabeth II coin collections and they’re definitely not wasting time in getting hold of the first coins King Charles III coins.
And it seems they’re prepared to part with a fair bit of money to get their hands on certain coins and banknotes…
In fact, if you’ve got all these coins in your collection, you could be sitting on £493! That’s a great rainy day deposit.
The biggest money-maker is of course the Kew Gardens 50p – currently selling for around £167 on eBay.
It’s also worth keeping an eye out for a polymer £10 banknote with the serial number ‘AA01‘. These notes are currently selling for around £25!
So, how much is your spare change worth?
To discover more about the most valuable coins in circulation, continue reading here >>
Share, learn & swap with the Change Checker Community
The UK’s RAREST 50p coin in circulation will be re-issued by The Royal Mint in 2019 it has been confirmed.
According to the Royal Proclamation, published on 8 November, a total of TEN new 50p coins will be issued in 2019, all of which will be re-issues of previous designs.
The coins to be re-issued comprise:
- Britannia 50p – the figure of Britannia, seated beside a lion, with a shield resting against her right side, holding a trident in her right hand and an olive branch in her left hand; and the figure “50” together with the words “NEW PENCE”;
- D-Day Landings 50p– a design representing the D-Day landings of the Allied invasion force heading for Normandy and filling the sea and sky, with the inscription “50 PENCE”;
- Roger Bannister 50p – the legs of a running athlete with a stylized stopwatch in the background and, with the inscription “50 PENCE”;
- Victoria Cross Medal 50p – a depiction of the obverse and reverse of a Victoria Cross with the date “29. JAN 1856” in the centre of the reverse of the Cross, with the inscription “VC” “FIFTY PENCE”;
- Victoria Cross Soldier 50p – a depiction of a soldier carrying a wounded comrade with an outline of the Victoria Cross surrounded by a sunburst effect in the background with the inscription “FIFTY PENCE” ;
- Boy Scouts 50p – a fleur-de-lis superimposed over a globe and accompanied by the inscription “BE PREPARED” and the dates “∙ 1907 ∙” and “∙ 2007 ∙”, and the denomination “FIFTY PENCE”;
- Kew Gardens 50p – a design showing the pagoda, a building strongly associated with the Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew, encircled by a vine and accompanied by the dates “1759” and “2009”, with the word “KEW” at the base of the pagoda;
- Battle of Hastings 50p – a design showing the scene from the Bayeux tapestry depicting King Harold with an arrow in his eye accompanied by the inscription “BATTLE OF HASTINGS 1066” and the date “2016”;
- Battle of Britain 50p – a design showing airmen running to their planes with enemy aircraft overhead accompanied by the inscription “THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN 1940”;
- Girl Guides 50p – a design which depicts a repeating pattern of the current identity of Girlguiding UK, accompanied by the inscription “CELEBRATING ONE HUNDRED YEARS OF GIRLGUIDING UK” and the denomination “50 PENCE”.
It’s expected the coins will be issued in 2019 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the 50p with commemorative collector’s editions in Cupro-Nickel, Silver and Gold being made available. It is not yet clear whether any of the new 50ps will be issued for circulation.
Stay up to date with all the latest news…
Fill in your details below to be kept up to date with all the latest news about the re-issued 2019 50p coins.
[contact-form][contact-field label=”Name” type=”name” required=”1″][contact-field label=”Email” type=”email” required=”1″][/contact-form]