With the release of a new £5 coin, a 20 year anniversary and a major milestone in The Great £1 Coin Race – August tuned out to be a very interesting month!
Watch as Yasmin and Luke discuss all the latest change collecting news:
The Royal Mint initially predicted that the number of new 12-sided £1 coins in circulation would overtake the Round £1 Coin by August this year.
However, due to the amount of coins that have already been returned, 8 million in total, the date has been revised to as soon as late July. Of the returned coins, most will be re-used to produce new 12-sided £1 coins, with the rest being disposed of.
This is important news for industries that deal in large quantities of £1 coins, such as vending and arcade machines, who’ll need to bring forward their machine conversation date.
Most importantly, for Change Checkers this means it is going to become increasingly challenging to complete The Great One Pound Coin Race. However, we know that you love a challenge and we’re here to help you get across the finishing line.
For all the best Round £1 Coin collecting hints and tips, take a look at our video:
For the brave ones amongst you, you can still sign up to The Great One Pound Coin Race, there’s still over 100 days to go!
The Royal Mint have revealed a list of places around the UK where you will be able to get a new 12-sided £1 coin on launch day guaranteed.
That will make you one of the first people to get hold of the coin before they start circulating more widely…
Here is the list of the guaranteed locations revealed by The Royal Mint:
- CLYDESDALE 1 Queen’s Cross, AB15 4XU
- BARCLAYS 10-15 Princes Street, EH2 2AN
- RBS 36 St Andrew Aquare, EH2 2AD
- CLYDESDALE 83 George street, EH2 3ES
- POST OFFICE 40 Frederick Street, EH2 1EY
- BANK OF SCOTLAND 167-201 Argyle Street, G2 8BU
- CLYDESDALE 30St Vincent St G1 2HL
- BANK OF IRELAND 4-8 High Street, BT1 5LR
- ULSTER BANK 11-16 Donegall Square East, BT1 5UB
- NATWEST 16 Northumberland Street, NE1 7EL
- POST OFFICE 22 Lendal, YO1 8DA
- NATWEST Leeds City Centre 8 Park Row, LS1 5HD
- YORKSHIRE BANK 94-96 Briggate, LS1 6NP
- BARCLAYS 86-88 Market Street, M1 1PD
- NATWEST 182 Deansgate, M3 3LY
- POST OFFICE 26 Spring Gardens, M2 1BB
- HSBC 2-4 Saint Anne’s Square, M2 7HD
- NATWEST 22 Castle Street, L2 0UP
- LLOYDS BANK 36/38 New Street, B2 4LP
- POST OFFICE 1 Pinfold Street, B2 4AA
- BARCLAYS St Davids Centre, CF10 2DP
- LLOYDS BANK 31 Queen Street, CF10 2AG
- HSBC 15 Churchill Way, CF10 2HD
- BARCLAYS 2 Churchill Place, E14 5RB
- NATWEST 1 Princes Street, EC2R 8BP
- HALIFAX 33 Old Broad Street, EC2N 1HZ
- POST OFFICE 24/28 William IV Street, WC2N 4DL
- HSBC 103 Station Road, Edgeware, HA8 7J
- SANTANDER – 2 Triton Square, NW1 3AN, 164-167 Tottenham Court Road, W1T 7JE, 57 Streatham High Rd, SW16 1PN
- SANTANDER 106-108 High Street, ME10 4PP
- POST OFFICE 27 Northgate Street, BA1 1AJ