A brand new £1 coin is set to enter circulation, marking the 40th anniversary of it’s introduction!
Chancellor Rishi Sunak has announced that artist Michael Armitage will design the new coin.
It’s believed the coin’s design will celebrate the culture, creativity, and heritage and history of the UK in the 21st century.
Speaking at a Royal College of Art’s (RCA) reception, Mr Sunak said: “I am delighted that Michael will lend his vision to the creation of this new £1 coin design in its 40th anniversary year. This coin will symbolise the rich tapestry of modern Britain and honour our deep heritage and history.”
Michael Armitage was earlier this year elected as a Royal Academician in the category of painting by the Royal Academy of Arts, London – meaning we’re sure to see a fantastic design on this brand new coin!
This will be the the first new £1 design since 2017 and Armitage said it will “combine our 1,100 years of craftsmanship with cutting-edge design to champion modern Britain.”
The 12-sided £1 coin has been in circulation since its introduction in 2016, having replaced the familiar round pound coins. It’s aim was to be the most secure coin yet.
This brand new design will become the standard circulating £1 coin* and will include the current “world-leading” high-security features to protect against counterfeiting, the Treasury said.
We can’t wait to see the design of this brand new coin and to start searching for it in our change! Let us know in the comments below if you’re excited to find this new coin!
*The new coin will enter circulation in 2023, marking the 40th anniversary of the modern £1 coin.
If you’re interested in coin collecting, our Change Checker web app is completely free to use and allows users to:
– Find and identify the coins in their pocket
– Collect and track the coins they have
– Swap their spare coins with other Change Checkers
Sign up today at: www.changechecker.org/app
1.4 billion brand new £1 coins will be released into circulation around the UK tomorrow in what is the single biggest change to the UK’s coinage since decimalisation.
To celebrate the release, we’re giving away FIVE ‘Nations of the Crown’ Silver Proof 12-Sided £1 Coins!
For your chance to WIN a Silver Proof £1, all you need to do is find one of the new 12-sided £1 coins in your change…
We’ll then choose 5 winners at random on the 10th April.
It’s really that easy – so good luck and get posting! #foundapound
To help you out, a few guaranteed locations have already been announced:
Click here to see the full list.
WIN a Silver Proof £1 – the Collector’s Favourite
We have 5 special Silver Proof £1 coins to give away…
- Precious metal content – struck from 925/1000 Sterling Silver with 24 Carat Gold-plate to create the outer ring.
- Strict Limited Edition – just 25,000 individual coins. That’s HALF the number of Silver Proof £1 Coins that were issued for the original Round £1 Coin in 1983.
- Perfect Proof Finish – even better than Brilliant Uncirculated, Proof coins are struck several times using specially polished dies to create a flawless finish with a perfect mirrored background and frosted design. The ultimate in coin quality.
We will draw five lucky winners out of the hat on 10 April 2017. All you need to do is take a picture of your £1 via Facebook, Twitter or Instagram using the hashtag #foundapound and the location you found your first £1 coin – it’s that easy! So good luck and fingers crossed!
Terms & Conditions
- No purchase is necessary to enter.
- The draw will take place on 10 April and the winner will be notified on that day by a comment to the winners original social media post.
- The winner will receive the “UK 2017 New 12 Sided Silver Proof £1”. There is no cash alternative.
- Participants agree to meet reasonable requests to assist publicity if required.
- The prize draw is promoted by The Westminster Collection, trading division of 288 Group Ltd.
- Employees of 288 Group and their families are not eligible to enter.
- The hashtag #foundapound must be used to qualify for entry into the competition
Tomorrow the new £1 coin will be released into circulation around the UK, sparking a new flurry of interest in coins from the general public.
Just like the polymer fiver back in September, the new £1 is sure to create excitement across the UK as people get their hands on the new coins for the first time.
So here’s what to look out for when you find one:
It’s also worth looking out for the date on your £1 when you find one in your change. The Royal Mint have confirmed that at least 1.4 billion £1 coins in total will enter circulation, but half a billion of these £1 coins will be dated 2016.