1.4 billion brand new £1 coins will be released into circulation around the UK tomorrow in what is the single biggest change to the UK’s coinage since decimalisation.
To celebrate the release, we’re giving away FIVE ‘Nations of the Crown’ Silver Proof 12-Sided £1 Coins!
For your chance to WIN a Silver Proof £1, all you need to do is find one of the new 12-sided £1 coins in your change…
We’ll then choose 5 winners at random on the 10th April.
It’s really that easy – so good luck and get posting! #foundapound
To help you out, a few guaranteed locations have already been announced:
Click here to see the full list.
WIN a Silver Proof £1 – the Collector’s Favourite
We have 5 special Silver Proof £1 coins to give away…
- Precious metal content – struck from 925/1000 Sterling Silver with 24 Carat Gold-plate to create the outer ring.
- Strict Limited Edition – just 25,000 individual coins. That’s HALF the number of Silver Proof £1 Coins that were issued for the original Round £1 Coin in 1983.
- Perfect Proof Finish – even better than Brilliant Uncirculated, Proof coins are struck several times using specially polished dies to create a flawless finish with a perfect mirrored background and frosted design. The ultimate in coin quality.
We will draw five lucky winners out of the hat on 10 April 2017. All you need to do is take a picture of your £1 via Facebook, Twitter or Instagram using the hashtag #foundapound and the location you found your first £1 coin – it’s that easy! So good luck and fingers crossed!
Terms & Conditions
- No purchase is necessary to enter.
- The draw will take place on 10 April and the winner will be notified on that day by a comment to the winners original social media post.
- The winner will receive the “UK 2017 New 12 Sided Silver Proof £1”. There is no cash alternative.
- Participants agree to meet reasonable requests to assist publicity if required.
- The prize draw is promoted by The Westminster Collection, trading division of 288 Group Ltd.
- Employees of 288 Group and their families are not eligible to enter.
- The hashtag #foundapound must be used to qualify for entry into the competition
Tomorrow the new £1 coin will be released into circulation around the UK, sparking a new flurry of interest in coins from the general public.
Just like the polymer fiver back in September, the new £1 is sure to create excitement across the UK as people get their hands on the new coins for the first time.
So here’s what to look out for when you find one:
It’s also worth looking out for the date on your £1 when you find one in your change. The Royal Mint have confirmed that at least 1.4 billion £1 coins in total will enter circulation, but half a billion of these £1 coins will be dated 2016.
When you do find your first pound make sure you post a picture on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram using the hashtag #foundapound, and also tag the location you found it!
It has been confirmed that the new 12-sided £1 coin will enter circulation in less than 12 weeks time.
28th March 2017 is sure to become a historic day as we welcome the new coin which has been billed to become the most secure circulating coin in the world.
This will be the first specification change to our £1 coin in more than 3 decades, since the pound was first introduced in 1983.
Formally named ‘The Nations of the Crown 2017 UK £1‘ the coin was designed by 15-year-old David Pearce following a public competition in 2015. The new design is made up of the English rose, the Welsh leek, the Scottish thistle and the Northern Irish shamrock emerging from one stem within a royal coronet to represent the four constituent countries of the United Kingdom.
28th March 2017: The new 12-sided £1 coin will enter circulation. It may take a little while for people to start seeing it in their change as it gradually filters into general use.
28th March – 15th October 2017: During these six months the co-circulation period will take place. You will be able to use both coins as normal in this time in preparation for demonetisation.
16th October 2017: The Round £1 will cease to be legal tender from this day onwards.
We’re really looking forward to finding them in our change when they’re released in 83 days time. And remember, pound coins with the 2017 date are likely to be more sought after – especially in good condition or uncirculated.
Be one of the FIRST people to own the new £1 Coin.
Today you can own all 13 of the United Kingdom’s 2017 coins including the brand new ‘Nations of the Crown’ 12-sided £1 within the latest annual coin pack.